284 g Soft White flour
124 g (1/2 cup) buttermilk
124 g (1/2 cup) cream
115 g cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp salted butter, melted for brushing on top
- Preheat oven to 425 f.
- Combine all dry ingredients in your food processor and pulse to mix.
- Add cold cubed butter and pulse 3 times. The butter should be the size of peas.
- Mix together buttermilk and cream.
- Add dough mixture from the food processor into a new bowl. Add in wet ingredients and briefly mix together with a spatula until the dough starts to form a shaggy ball.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll the dough ball into a 12 inch square. Use flour on both sides of the dough as it will be sticky.
- Fold the right 1/3 of the square into the center like a book. Fold the left 1/3 of the dough into the center as well. Fold the top 1/3 over the center and then fold the bottom 1/3 of the dough into the center so the whole thing ends up being a 4'' square. Press the square gently down and then roll it out into a 12'' square again. Repeat the folding process one more time.
- After the second folding, roll the dough out so that it is a 1'' thick square. For a neat and tidy biscuit, use a knife to cut the edges off so you have a clean edge. Then cut the biscuits into 2 1/2'' squares.
- Place the biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet, brush with melted butter and pop them in the center of the oven for 14-15 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.